Funding for Home Care

Funding for care can be a little complicated. Many people think that service from a home care agency is beyond their financial means, however care at home is becoming an increasingly popular option. Funding care is a confusing topic and we can help to point you in the right direction. A good place to start is the Government website or local authority information sites, you can also find out more information on funding here.  

Public funding for care at home

You may be eligible to receive help with funding from the Government, however if you have savings of more than £23,250 you will not qualify for this. You can request a free care assessment from your local Social Services department; this can include a community care assessment and a means-tested financial assessment to see if you are eligible to receive support with the cost of your care. If you have been assessed as needing services from a home care agency, you may be offered direct payments. As part of this arrangement, payments will be made by your local council directly to you so that you are able to organise and pay for your care service. These payments are designed to support you to remain living at home, encouraging independence and social inclusion in areas such as employment, education, and leisure activities. If you choose this option, social services will become involved in assessing your financial situation and a social worker will assess your personal needs, they may offer support if required. Should you select a level of care that exceeds your allowance you can top this up from your own funds. If you are not eligible you don’t have to wait for a social services assessment, you can approach a private company straight away.  

Private Funding

Funding yourself is the fastest and easiest way to get care. Some options to do this may include equity release or other financial methods. It is worth taking the time to consider your financial options at the same time you start to consider your care needs. If you are looking for support with financial planning we would recommend that you contact an impartial Financial Advisor specialising in care fees. They can discuss various options with you, and we are able to recommend providers if required.  

NHS Continuing Health

NHS continuing healthcare (or NHS CHC) is free healthcare provided by the NHS to individuals who have significant and ongoing healthcare needs. This package of care can be received in any setting outside of hospital including your own home. In order to be eligible for NHS CHC, it must be established that your need for care is primarily health related. Additionally, this need must be assessed as complex, substantial and ongoing. It doesn’t matter what your income is or what savings you have, if you meet the criteria, you are entitled to free NHS CHC funding. Remember, NHS continuing healthcare funding is not means tested and it can cover up to 100% of care costs. If you are currently paying, or have previously paid for care, you could be eligible for funding to cover future care costs or to recover care costs which have already been paid.  

Help with form filling for home care

Filling out forms for financial support can be a daunting task and it is easy to misunderstand the requirements or be confused as to what the terms mean. Past clients have asked for help with this and we can be involved to assist with continuing health support, if required. If you do need help, please get in touch and we can assess your circumstances. For further information on Direct Payments contact your local social services, or click here for more information.  

What Grants for the Elderly are Available?

Many pensioners don't claim the benefits they are entitled to, it's good to know what grants for the elderly are available
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax
  • Carers Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance (For those over 65 how have physical or mental disability)
  • Television Licence. Over 75 (under review)
  • Winter Fuel Allowance- between £100 - £300 eligible if on state pension.
  • Disability Grants
  • Home Energy and Efficiency Grants
  • Cold Weather Allowance – If average temp is or forecast to be less than 0 °C or below for 7 days in row between 1st Nov and 31st March
  • Warm Home Allowance – Big energy supplier have to help vulnerable customers by law. £140 rebate on energy bills.
  • Other Grants – from services such as phone or water bills, means tested
  • Other Benevolent funds – depending on your career, several are available for ex-military and their spouses.If you would like to discuss funding in more detail, please click here to get in touch.